Sirince Village

Greek Village - Sirince

Sirince Village

Sirince Village referred in ancient sources as the “Ephesus on the Mountain” suggests long established settlement. Sirince is a pretty old Orthodox village in Selcuk, 12 km away from Ephesus, which was called Cirkince meaning ‘’ugly’’. Sirince village was built by the Greeks around 800 years ago and since the population exchange in 1924 has since been inhabited by Muslims from Salonica. Indeed its habitants gave this name on purpose as they did not want to be bothered by foreigners nor to share the beauty of their village. After years, visitors understand that the village is not ugly at all and the village’s name was changed to Sirince meaning “Pleasant” in 1926 by the governor of Izmir Province.

As the village is located on the top of a mountain, perfect synthesis of Turk-Greek culture as of the 1920’s; after the Independence War, people exchange between Greek and Turks has occurred and all those typical Greek houses, though they kept their original outside characteristics, have received the local layout inside. The muslim Turks who moved Sirince from Greek in 1924 re-started wine and olive oil-making.

The oldest building in Sirince is from the Hellenistic period, initially built as a tower when Ephesus was established. All the narrow streets of Sirince belong to the women, selling handcrafts of all kinds, olive oil. Another attraction of the village is its wine: try its taste in small cafésor in the former municipal school restorated.

Sirince Wine

Sirince Wines

Sirince Village referred in ancient sources as the “Ephesus on the Mountain” suggests long established settlement. Sirince is a pretty old Orthodox village in Selcuk, 12 km away from Ephesus, which was called Cirkince meaning ‘’ugly’’. Sirince village was built by the Greeks around 800 years ago and since the population exchange in 1924 has since been inhabited by Muslims from Salonica. Indeed its habitants gave this name on purpose as they did not want to be bothered by foreigners nor to share the beauty of their village. After years, visitors understand that the village is not ugly at all and the village’s name was changed to Sirince meaning “Pleasant” in 1926 by the governor of Izmir Province.

As the village is located on the top of a mountain, perfect synthesis of Turk-Greek culture as of the 1920’s; after the Independence War, people exchange between Greek and Turks has occurred and all those typical Greek houses, though they kept their original outside characteristics, have received the local layout inside. The muslim Turks who moved Sirince from Greek in 1924 re-started wine and olive oil-making.

The oldest building in Sirince is from the Hellenistic period, initially built as a tower when Ephesus was established. All the narrow streets of Sirince belong to the women, selling handcrafts of all kinds, olive oil. Another attraction of the village is its wine: try its taste in small cafésor in the former municipal school restorated.

Sirince Village Picture Gallery

Ratings

  • Rate this
  • Summary
Current Average Ratings
Content
Avg: 0/5
Expression
Avg: 0/5
Images
Avg: 0/5
Sirince Village
Total Avg Rating: 0.00 out of 5 with based on 0 rating(s)
Content
Expression
Images

Share This:

Translate »